29.03.2024, 00:00 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
bme
Titel: A New Kanotix Version Before Christmas?  BeitragVerfasst am: 29.10.2006, 04:12 Uhr

Anmeldung: 21. Mar 2006

A gift perhaps?

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
doknir
14 Titel: RE: A New Kanotix Version Before Christmas?  BeitragVerfasst am: 29.10.2006, 22:16 Uhr

Anmeldung: 07. Jun 2006
Hello!

Maybe there will be a Halloween edition ? Mr. Green

Cheers, Roman

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
DeepDayze
Titel: RE: A New Kanotix Version Before Christmas?  BeitragVerfasst am: 30.10.2006, 14:00 Uhr

Anmeldung: 08. Dez 2005

You'll never know Winken

Humboldt
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 09.11.2006, 11:58 Uhr

Anmeldung: 02. Feb 2005
Do anybody know if the development of Kanotix has run into trouble? I am not very technial user and do not follow the technical discussion for the moment, but after rc4 it seems as nothing has happend, and no info has been realesed as news either.....

doknir
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 09.11.2006, 12:50 Uhr

Anmeldung: 07. Jun 2006
Hello!

Newer kernel was released on 2006-NOV-04:
http://debian.tu-bs.de/project/kanotix/kernel/
(version 2.6.18.2)

Regards, Roman

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
h2
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 09.11.2006, 20:49 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Mar 2005

Zitat:
but after rc4 it seems as nothing has happend, and no info has been realesed as news either.....

That was released only about 1 month ago, well, about 35 days ago to be exact. Several new kernels have been posted since then.

Usually I believe what holds up a stable release is some problems in sid, or waiting for the final release of some major package groups, like xorg, kde, or whatever, or having cups issues, etc. So once this list is resolved, a time is chosen to create a stable release.

However, the word stable seems to confuse people, if you install rc4, then install the latest kernel, and do a dist-upgrade, you are running the latest sid with the latest kernel, always. It's completely pointless creating new iso's every few weeks just so people can avoid doing a dist-upgrade, when the old iso is just fine.

I'm not sure exactly what it is that the kanotix team is waiting for in terms of calling the 2006.1 stable release, but it's defininetely something, and, given how absolutely solid 2005.4 was and is once it came out, I think I'll just trust their judgement on this question. By the way, there was a very long wait for 2005.4 as well, I know, because I was waiting for it to be released before fully switching my systems over. But it did finally come out, last hours of the last day of 2005.

It doesn't matter what version you start with, you'll end up at exactly the same place. Now, it's true, that if you start with 2005-4 now, and use my script to update it to current, it's going to be a long, nasty, process, but you will still arrive at current if you follow all the directions. And if you start at Easter, you'll arrive at current with almost no problems. And if you start at 2006.1.rc4, you'll arrive at current even more smoothly.

But in each case, you will be at current. So just start now, keep your system upgraded, and you will be where the next stable release would be before it's released. This is after all debian sid and kanotix, not fedora, opensuse, or those others. The ability to keep your system fully current is the number one reason to use this type of distro, debian based, in the first place.

There is a limit however, no kanotix prior to 2005.4 can safely be upgraded, that's what made 2005.4 a real jump in quality and stability, it still can be upgraded after 1 year to current, although I strongly recommend against trying that unless you have a very good reason, since installing 2006.1 and upgrading it is radically more reliable and easy.

craigevil
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 09.11.2006, 21:30 Uhr

Anmeldung: 29. Mar 2005
Personally I think the whole "release" issue has been pushed way out of proportion by the *buntu crowd.

When you are running Kanotix/Debian Sid , updating to the latest stable kernel and doing weekly dist-upgrades keeps you as current as possible. The only way to be more up to date would be to run an unstable kernel and d-u daily .

That is the great thing about running Debian Sid, your system can have the most updated packages simply by running apt-get dist-upgrade. Reinstalling every time a new release comes out would piss me off, I don't see how people do it.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ-Nummer 
hey_ian
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 09.11.2006, 22:29 Uhr

Anmeldung: 22. Jan 2006
Kanotix is in my opinion the best combination of up to date and stable software in the world

the kernel is always the newest and most up to date (released usually one or two days after kernel.org stream)

bme
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 11.11.2006, 09:00 Uhr

Anmeldung: 21. Mar 2006

The reason why people like me prefer the iso to a dist upgrade is that we don't have a high speed internet connection to do so. Even the kernel would take time to download on a dialup.
I ask a friend from a local university to download ISO for me and transfer it to a flash memory.
So until the cost of a high speed internet becomes affordable for me then I will have to rely on iso .

Humboldt
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 14.11.2006, 10:52 Uhr

Anmeldung: 02. Feb 2005
h2 hat folgendes geschrieben::
Zitat:
but after rc4 it seems as nothing has happend, and no info has been realesed as news either.....

However, the word stable seems to confuse people, if you install rc4, then install the latest kernel, and do a dist-upgrade, you are running the latest sid with the latest kernel, always.

It doesn't matter what version you start with, you'll end up at exactly the same place. Now, it's true, that if you start with 2005-4 now, and use my script to update it to current, it's going to be a long, nasty, process, but you will still arrive at current if you follow all the directions. And if you start at Easter, you'll arrive at current with almost no problems. And if you start at 2006.1.rc4, you'll arrive at current even more smoothly.

But in each case, you will be at current. So just start now, keep your system upgraded, and you will be where the next stable release would be before it's released. This is after all debian sid and kanotix, not fedora, opensuse, or those others. The ability to keep your system fully current is the number one reason to use this type of distro, debian based, in the first place.

Well, maybe the word stable confuse people, but if you regulary do dist upgrades, in the end you will be running pure sid...more or less... But there have been other discussions in this forum about the need for rregular dist upgrades. As I have understood it, if you go for dist upgrades you sacrifice the stabiltity you get with the stable kanotix. Me personally never do dist upgrades, but very selective upgrades, often after reading debian weekly news.

devil
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 14.11.2006, 11:56 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 06. Mai 2005
humboldt,
i on the other hand do them on a dayly basis, and have no lack of the stability you speak about.
from what i experience, if you do them at all, do them often.

greetz
devil

Host/Kernel/OS "devilsbox" running[2.6.19-rc1-git5-kanotix-1KANOTIX-2006-01-RC4 ]
CPU Info AMD Athlon 64 3000+ clocked at [ 803.744 MHz ]

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.