28.03.2024, 14:28 UhrDeutsch | English
Hallo Gast [ Registrierung | Anmelden ]

Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
Autor Nachricht
mzilikazi
Titel: LaCie LightScribe Labeling For Any Operating System  BeitragVerfasst am: 18.10.2006, 22:25 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 17. Dez 2003
LaCie today announced it is the first to offer a complete burning and LightScribe Direct Disc Labeling solution for all operating systems. This includes the first-ever LightScribe Labeler software for Linux, a new version of LightScribe Labeler software for Mac, and SureThing LightScribe Labeler for Windows.

Yes you read correctly - Linux is included! LaCie seems to say that this software works only with LaCie drives. I'd be curious to know if this is the case or if it works with any LightScribe enabled drive. I've never owned any LaCie products but they appear to be decent. Any first hand experience? Maybe a LaCie DVD+RW 16x firewire drive is in my near future?

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
Antworten mit Zitat Nach oben
titan
Titel: RE: LaCie LightScribe Labeling For Any Operating System  BeitragVerfasst am: 19.10.2006, 09:58 Uhr

Anmeldung: 07. Mai 2005
Drivers are all here www.lacie.com/support/drivers/index.htm but I don,t have a LightScribe drive to try it.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden  
mzilikazi
Titel: RE: LaCie LightScribe Labeling For Any Operating System  BeitragVerfasst am: 27.10.2006, 17:17 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Another bit about LightScribe technology here.

Seems you need both pieces of software:
Host software
&
Labler

It's only in .rpm format but 'certified' for use on Ubuntu. Must've used alien no doubt - not really my preferred method of software installation. Why is it that so many companies thing everyone uses RH Linux?

It does seem that this software *should* work w/ and LightScribe enabled drive. If anyone tries it please post!

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden E-Mail senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
kenyee
Titel: RE: LaCie LightScribe Labeling For Any Operating System  BeitragVerfasst am: 27.10.2006, 23:30 Uhr

Anmeldung: 21. Jan 2006

One other thing is it only works on i386 systems because HP released binary libraries. I assume this means it doesn't work for 64-bit amd64 systems whic I have Auf den Arm nehmen

jbs1136
Titel: RE: LaCie LightScribe Labeling For Any Operating System  BeitragVerfasst am: 28.10.2006, 23:23 Uhr

Anmeldung: 15. Jul 2006
mzilikazi,

Thanks for linking me to this post. I have followed all of the links on this page and found that the best place for the download of the software and manuals is: http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10803. The links that you posted for Host software and Labler won't load for me, I get a time out error. I have just downloaded the software and am getting ready to install it after I read the manuals. I am a newbie to Linux so may have trouble with rpm's. It says it works with Ubuntu so why don't they have a .deb?

Anyway, I will post back when I get the burner and try it out. Thanks for all of the input. I would never have found this software and would have ended up putting it on my xp machine.

john

jackiebrown
Titel: Re: RE: LaCie LightScribe Labeling For Any Operating System  BeitragVerfasst am: 28.10.2006, 23:27 Uhr

Anmeldung: 13. Mai 2005
kenyee hat folgendes geschrieben::
One other thing is it only works on i386 systems because HP released binary libraries. I assume this means it doesn't work for 64-bit amd64 systems whic hI have Auf den Arm nehmen

Same here. And i have a lightscribe dvd writer. I got it because it was the least expensive at best buy. I never really thought that feature would work in linux though anyways. So I wasn't disappointed and it looks like no change now.

And while neat, sure wasn't neat enough to spend the time to install XP just to burn a pretty label. Markers are still working for me and are nicely OS generic. Winken

h2
Titel: RE: Re: RE: LaCie LightScribe Labeling For Any Operating Sys  BeitragVerfasst am: 28.10.2006, 23:31 Uhr

Anmeldung: 12. Mar 2005

jackiebrown, same here, I'm still having 100% success with Sharpie disk labelling systems, seems to work solidly on both 32 and 64 bit versions of Windows, Gnu/Linux, OS X, and all other operating systems that support cdroms, as well as cdrom supporting players etc. Others report similar success rates with other permanent felt type marking pens that do not use inks that might degrade the cd dyes.

mzilikazi
Titel: Re: RE: LaCie LightScribe Labeling For Any Operating System  BeitragVerfasst am: 29.10.2006, 14:11 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

jbs1136 hat folgendes geschrieben::
I am a newbie to Linux so may have trouble with rpm's. It says it works with Ubuntu so why don't they have a .deb?
john

Well we could write them lots of emails demanding a deb! Smilie

You'd need to use alien to convert the rpm's to deb format. That really isn't the preferred way of doing things but perhaps the only option for the moment.
Code:
alien --to-deb packagename.rpm

Then
Code:
dpkg -i packagename.deb

Kano
Titel: RE: Re: RE: LaCie LightScribe Labeling For Any Operating Sys  BeitragVerfasst am: 29.10.2006, 15:10 Uhr

You can use

alien -i file.rpm

jbs1136
Titel: RE: Re: RE: LaCie LightScribe Labeling For Any Operating Sys  BeitragVerfasst am: 31.10.2006, 05:44 Uhr

Thanks guys, I now have it installed. It comes up and I have my label ready to go, just have to wait for the burner.

John

jbs1136
Titel: RE: Re: RE: LaCie LightScribe Labeling For Any Operating Sys  BeitragVerfasst am: 01.11.2006, 22:41 Uhr

mzilikazi,

Since you started the thread I addressed you. Hope you don't mind. I have installed all of the software from LaCie, installed the dvd burner which arrived today. I have used Krita to make a label and opened 4L-gui, imported the picture, adjusted it so it fit, clicked on burn. This opened up a window, I selected the burner, the media, best picture and hit preview. Looks good (my art work and picture manipulation sucks), then I hit burn. A window pops up telling me I need root privileges to burn. The executable script is in /usr/4L. I changed owner and group to john (me) and tried again. Same result. Here I need help. How do I run the program with root privileges? There is a 4L-cli which runs from the command line but that scares me alittle (actually a whole lot). I like the gui so I can see what I am doing? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

john

kenyee
Titel: RE: Re: RE: LaCie LightScribe Labeling For Any Operating Sys  BeitragVerfasst am: 01.11.2006, 23:55 Uhr

John: type in "sudo /usr/4L" (assuming 4L is the program name)...

jbs1136
Titel: RE: Re: RE: LaCie LightScribe Labeling For Any Operating Sys  BeitragVerfasst am: 02.11.2006, 02:57 Uhr

kenyee,

thanks but I still can't get it. The name of the file to run the gui is 4L-gui. I tried in console and kmenu/runcommand. Run command nothing happens. Konsole says "john is not in the sudoers files". If I su to root and run I get this: "cannot connect to X server". Could this be because I am using compiz?

thanks for your help,

john

kenyee
Titel: RE: Re: RE: LaCie LightScribe Labeling For Any Operating Sys  BeitragVerfasst am: 02.11.2006, 03:20 Uhr

before doing the su, do "xhost +". That'll let root connect to the X server running as you.
You should add yourself to the sudoers group (the installer should have done this for you). I can't remember where this list is...do a "man sudo" to figure out how sudo works.

mzilikazi
Titel: RE: Re: RE: LaCie LightScribe Labeling For Any Operating Sys  BeitragVerfasst am: 02.11.2006, 04:26 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

You can setuid root on the binary:
Code:
# chmod u+s /usr/4L

Keep in mind that this is a potential security problem.

You can also remove sux so that root can launch apps in X
Code:
# apt-get remove sux

but actually running the /usr/4L binary as root is not really desirable.

jbs1136
Titel: RE: Re: RE: LaCie LightScribe Labeling For Any Operating Sys  BeitragVerfasst am: 02.11.2006, 05:12 Uhr

Thanks but it still says "Printing needs root privileges" after I did both of the above. I did immediately did apt-get install sux after trying. The first part you said could be a potential security problem. How do I undo that?

Thanks for all of your help,

john

eislon
Titel: RE: Re: RE: LaCie LightScribe Labeling For Any Operating Sys  BeitragVerfasst am: 02.11.2006, 05:50 Uhr

Anmeldung: 18. Apr 2006

well you could login as root with sux and then start the program, this is a workaround, because as a user you don't want to run such an application as root.

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen ICQ-Nummer 
piper
Titel: RE: Re: RE: LaCie LightScribe Labeling For Any Operating Sys  BeitragVerfasst am: 02.11.2006, 07:07 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 03. Mai 2005
John

Try going to kmenu > system > kuser user manager log in as root, click on John > groups > and make sure sudo is checked

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
jbs1136
Titel: RE: Re: RE: LaCie LightScribe Labeling For Any Operating Sys  BeitragVerfasst am: 02.11.2006, 07:26 Uhr

piper,

long time. did what you said and it was.

Anyway, I got brave, opened the manual and after a couple of trys got the commands straight. Did the job from konsole in root (and I hate command line). I had used krita to set up the picture etc. In the lacie software there are 3 pictures for the different sizes ( full disk, title, content). This determines how much of the disk is printed to. I used the full and added a picture of my granddaughters, a title and some other stuff and saved the whole thing to a png. Wrong, has to be a bmp. Told me that when I tried to print it. Anyway, it all worked, took just over 22 minutes ( I had everything set to best). Well worth the time and the money.

So thanks to all of you who offered help and suggestions. It paid off for me and I thank you very much. The equipment I used was an SP DVD840ri Super Multi DVD Writer with LightScribe and Double Layer. Quoted this from the box. And of course the 2 pieces of software from LaCie.

john

piper
Titel: RE: Re: RE: LaCie LightScribe Labeling For Any Operating Sys  BeitragVerfasst am: 02.11.2006, 17:57 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Anmeldung: 03. Mai 2005
John

Glad you got it working

Benutzer-Profile anzeigen Private Nachricht senden Website dieses Benutzers besuchen  
mzilikazi
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 29.11.2006, 22:18 Uhr
Team Member
Team Member

Well what do you know? Lightscribe just released an SDK for Linux. What does that mean? We'll be seeing some new apps and new functionality in existing apps for Lightscribe labeling. w00t!

LINUX PUBLIC SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT KIT (SDK).

jackiebrown
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 30.11.2006, 00:42 Uhr

Anmeldung: 13. Mai 2005
Hopefully it picks off better than the lexmark one.

rufuchs
Titel:   BeitragVerfasst am: 09.01.2007, 21:21 Uhr

Anmeldung: 13. Aug 2005

Hello John,

which Kanotix Version and Kernel did you use for your testing the lacie stuff. I got my drive last friday and I used alien to convert to deb. First I installed lightscribe-1.4.113.1-linux-2.6-intel.rpm and then 4L-1.0-r6.i586.rpm. Did you use the same version from lacie? The 4L-cli enumerate did not show my burner. For testing I installed opensuse 10 and it works great but I more like debian.

Thanks

Rüdiger

Beiträge vom vorherigen Thema anzeigen:     
Gehe zu:  
Alle Zeiten sind GMT + 1 Stunde
Neues Thema eröffnen   Neue Antwort erstellen
Vorheriges Thema anzeigen Druckerfreundliche Version Einloggen, um private Nachrichten zu lesen Nächstes Thema anzeigen
PNphpBB2 © 2003-2007 

Deutsch | English
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, comments are property of their posters, the rest is © 2004 - 2006 by Jörg Schirottke (Kano).
Consult Impressum and Legal Terms for details. Kanotix is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL license.
This CMS is powered by PostNuke, all themes used at this site are released under the GNU/GPL license. designed and hosted by w3you. Our web server is running on Kanotix64-2006.